15 January 2012

Drawing On Wood

I came across some wood the other day, and decided that it would be a pretty good surface to draw on. 
To start you'll need four things: 


Wood surface which can be as small or big as you want it to be, a pencil for initial drawings and a good marker or pen. And of course, imagination!
Test your pen / marker on the edge of the wood piece before you start (I tested a couple before finding a really dark one), and then you're set! 

This is Step 1: Draw initial drawing with pencil (and yes you can erase). It's a good guide so you don't mess up the actual permanent marker drawing. When you're happy with what you drew, move on to the next phase.
Step 2: Draw with permanent marker. Easy right? My advice: Use a thinner marker to get more details in there. 
The results look pretty good, but I'm definitely going to do better next time around. Drawing on wood is not like paper, some types of wood tend to absorb a lot of ink so you'd have to go over it once or twice. I have huge pieces of plywood scattered in the house, so I think I'll take this to a larger scale. 

Heavily influenced by tribal tattoos. 
Something abstract, called Roots. 
Rose buds, but a symbolic one rather than a representative one. 
Roses have thorns. 
And this is how they look like side by side. 

I can't really use them as coasters because that marker I used is not water proof, but I can frame them in an old frame I have sitting in my room, but without glass. All I need is a background to stick them on. 

Where did I go wrong? 
- Used a fat marker. 
- Used a non water-proof marker. 
Avoid my mistakes! 

So If you have pieces of flat wood in your house serving no purpose, it's time to turn them into pieces of art. It's fun, and I'm pretty sure the kids will love it! This was something I did purely for fun, as I got bored of drawing on paper. So glad I did it!


2 comments:

  1. that is so beautiful...

    i did something similar but with a wood burner

    http://chaobella.com/category/wood/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's lovely! I really like the calligraphy aspect of your work. =) (something I was never good at xD) ...
      Thanks so much for the comment! I don't get a lotta those LOL!

      Delete